Sign in

I forgot my password.

I need more animes to watch

Brofessional

so I feel like I've watched most of the good recent animes, i know there are a lot of good ones out there but i can't seem to find one i like. so if i could get a few recommendations that'd be awesome :D
heres my top 5 for reference
Attack on Titan
Gurren Lagann
FMA:B
Sword art online
and Soul Eater
not necessarily in that order, if you've got something similar thats good id love to know.

155 Replies

B0r1ng

Girls Bravo, it's not great but it's full on Netflix and it's only two season. It's also the only other anime I know.
Panty and Stocking: the other anime. You've probably seen it based on your list.

JakalHunter

Replying to OP: Try Kill La Kill its good if you are okay with the fanservice.

Zackizzle

You'd probably like Code Geass and Death Note.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

pico to chico

ltayl1

You might like Mahouka. It seems to be one of the big favourites this season amongst the weeb community. Hard to get a grasp on how it'll play out from one episode but I'm personally looking forward to the rest of the series. I could read the manga but ehhhhhhhhhh.......

From that list though maybe try Guilty Crown, Ao no Exorcist and Durarara.

I've yet to see the latter 2 but as far as I know they're pretty similar in terms of the whole Action/Shounen thing you've got in your list.

Steins;Gate is my favourite series, it's more Sci-Fi/Thriller though. Just throwing that out there.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@ltayl1:
I was hyped to Mahouka as well, but the first episode was such a huge let down... Brynhildr seems to have some potential, but who knows. WIXOSS looks like Madoka meets C, so I'm also looking forward to that. Isshuukan Friends, though, that one seems like it's going to be amazing. Bring it on, Brains Base, I'm ready to feel.

On an unrelated note, I got Suzuha's ending on the Steins;Gate vn, what an amazing ride that was.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

<--

ltayl1

@TheXRayFactor: Ah yeah WIXOSS is pretty hype. It's all about Mekaku City Actors though. Psyched for the release of that one.

Heh. I should probably actually get around to finishing the vn sometime soon.

Alakawaii

I would just say watch Cowboy BeBop, because its my favourite.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@ltayl1:
I know nothing about it other than it's futuristic and by Shaft, but that's enough to get me hyped.

Parks

Ass To Ass

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@Parks:
Click to play

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@TheXRayFactor: Thanks.

Insanity_Trials

Whisper Kick

Like someone else said, Code Geass, Death Note, Kill la Kill.

And like no one else has said yet, FUCKING COWBOY BEBOP.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Also YuruYuri, one of the most intense action animes out there.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@M4xwell: You should probably say Puella Magi Madoka Magica, as someone who doesn't know it isn't gonna know what the weird cat thing is.

JohnStephen

Btooom! is great, its kinda similar to Sword Art Online. Only problem with it is that it ends with a cliffhanger, and that was back in late 2012 with no word of a season 2.
Angel Beats! is great too, its basically guns n' feels.
Mirai Nikki / Future Diary is fantastic but I feel it could have been better. Still great.
And because KimmyJ isn't here to recommend it, Upotte!!.

Zac

Sheriff

...One Piece

Miser_Reborn

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Code Geass
Death Note

All should be satisfactorily mainstream and overhyped based on your preferences.

Serious answers include Kill la Kill (done by Trigger, also responsible for Gurren Lagann), Cowboy Bebop (yes, from the person who unironically bashed your filthy different opinions for being too mainstream), Azanymanga Daioh (note that this is totally incompatible with your listed preferences), and Steins;Gate (Liam I swear to god one of these days you will be served a healthy platter of karmic justice, ice cold revenge, and vengeful recountenance).

For those curious this is literally every anime I've ever watched and enjoyed.

Also Sonico.

Miser_Reborn

*Shingeki no Kyojin

Eddie

excuse me but it's shingeki no kyojin

The creators didn't intend for it to be called Attack on titan and I'm offended that you called it that.

Miser_Reborn

@Eddie: THANK YOU. Someone understands the struggles of TRUE FANS like me (and presumably you).

Eddie

@Miser_Reborn:
I can't believe they are making a dub. How disgraceful to the original series!

Neal

ROLF

To name a few:
Kill la Kill
Hajime No Ippo
Space Dandy
Fairy Tail
Magi

ltayl1

@Miser_Reborn: <3

JiffyIube

Hello?

@Miser_Reborn: Kill la Kill is pretty overhyped.

MLP_JoshF

What kind of show are you looking for in particular?

Brofessional

@Miser_Reborn: i speak english and id rather not look like a retard trying to pronounce japanese words

Brofessional

thanks for all the recommendations I've seen a few, but many i haven't heard of and ill have to look through em

Brofessional

@MLP_JoshF: something with good action, good plot is ideal, and likable enough characters. basically all i need

ADashofRainbow

Kill La Kill and Fate/Zero are great action anime, baka and test, K-On and Seitokai Yakuindomo are great slice of life/comedy.

also cause KimmyJ isn't really on anymore I'll give you his recommendation:
Click to play

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@Brofessional:
you don't need to pronounce words on an internet forum, you know

Brofessional

@ADashofRainbow: XD that looks ridiculous, slice of life with guns it looks like based on that

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@Brofessional:
i love how you say a good plot is ideal but list snk and ttgl

Brofessional

@TheXRayFactor: i said its ideal, but doesn't need to be there to make up what i consider good. aot/snk and ttgl are just awesome because of the action and epic big fighting things. with those plot can be over looked a bit in my opinion, i mainly just want epic fights

Brofessional

@TheXRayFactor: yea i dont pronounce it on text but thats what I've gotten used to calling it from talking to people about it irl

MLP_JoshF

@Brofessional: Madoka Magica, Code Geass, Death Note and Log Horizon is what I'd recommend then.

MLP_JoshF

@Brofessional: If plot isn't that important then watch Future Diary (Mirai Nikki).

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@MLP_JoshF:
One day, m8, one day.

Wetoddit

Some of my favourites are:
Steins;Gate
Cowboy Bebop
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
The World God Only Knows (nothing like your top 5, but still a great series)

ADashofRainbow

oh yeah I'd also recommend Log Horizon, it's like Sword Art Online but better.

KingJemnas

@JiffyIube:

This is a late reply but most of what everyone listed here is overhyped

AwYeah

@super_legit

Trigun is fun, Outlaw Star is a good old one

Neal

ROLF

@AwYeah: I knew I forgot one. Trigun is great.

Neal

ROLF

@KingJemnas: Can we stop using overhyped. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it over hyped.

KingJemnas

@Neal:

Oh I didn't use it because I hate them, it's just that whenever there's a list of anime people ask for those are the ones people put at the top of the list.

Zackizzle

@KingJemnas: Because they're good entry shows to get people into anime.

Brofessional

@JohnStephen: wow btooom was awesome, i hope theres a season 2 for that one

JohnStephen

@Brofessional:
Thank you! I loved that show a lot but I felt that not a lot of people watched it. I guess it mustn't have sold well. If you want, there's a manga that I'm pretty sure continues on. Or you can wait to see if they make another series to see what fat Ash Ketchum/Reggie Fils-Aime does.

Neal

ROLF

@KingJemnas: Because they are good shows that almost everyone likes so you know to suggest them with other ones that are more difficult to get into.

JohnStephen

@KingJemnas:
They're called Gateway anime. Shows like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are easy for people who haven't watched a lot of anime to get into. Other stuff would be too confusing or strange for most people new to the medium and culture. They're also very well received meaning that most people will enjoy them and are safe to recommend to people who haven't figured out what type of anime they like (once they know that, they won't have to ask around for anime). Its better that they watch them first instead of watching something weird and confusing first turning them off anime, or worse, a gateway anime like One Piece, Bleach, Naruto or anything that has so many episodes that they'll never get around to anything else.

Zackizzle

I recommend School Days.

JohnStephen

@Zackizzle:
Seconded, it's got a nice boat.

Insanity_Trials

Whisper Kick

@Zackizzle:I hear it sucks shit. Granted, only from one person by I tend to trust his opinion. He said Elfen Lied sucked, watching it, so far it sucks.

Zackizzle

@Insanity_Trials: School Days is like Evangelion. You either hate it or love it.

JohnStephen

@Zackizzle:
No, with Evangelion you either hate it or you're wrong.

• +2
TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@JohnStephen:
Please take care of this bit.

JohnStephen

And at that point in time John noticed the typo in his post and cried into his Evangelion merch...

Zackizzle

@JohnStephen: You mean love it?

JohnStephen

@Zackizzle:
Yes, that's what I meant. Now if you excuse me I have to perform Seppuku with my Evangelion branded dagger.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@JohnStephen:
A very valuable typo, I would say.

redshankinvento

BANNED

@JohnStephen:more like you hate it or are stupid enough to think it makes sense

redshankinvento

BANNED

CHAT Image

JohnStephen

@D4haka97:
CHAT Image

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@D4haka97:
CHAT Image

JohnStephen

@TheXRayFactor:
DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!

CHAT Image

redshankinvento

BANNED

@JohnStephen:I was gonna post a picture of Bruce Lee's grave, but that's a little tasteless. so... yeah...

Zackizzle

@D4haka97:
CHAT Image

MLP_JoshF

@ADashofRainbow: ...like WAY better...

redshankinvento

BANNED

@ADashofRainbow:I'm gonna blow your fucking brain here; it's not that hard to be better than horseshit

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@Miser_Reborn: Azumango Daioh is fucking great.

Miser_Reborn

@D4haka97: Yo sick joke restatement.

Jakalarf

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Neal

ROLF

@Jakalarf: YES!

Neal

ROLF

Also Berserk

M4xwell

Insanitarium

Bible Black

KingJemnas

It's not out yet but try terra formars when it comes out.

ADashofRainbow

@Jakalarf:
I'm on season 2 right now, it's pretty great

ltayl1

@D4haka97: Yo that's a bold statement coming from someone with an Attack on Titan avatar.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@ltayl1:
CHAT Image

Miser_Reborn

@ltayl1: Yo that's a bold statement coming from someone with an Italy name.

absolutezilch

Hey Big Zam!

CHAT Image

Deleted user

Click to play

Eddie

@ltayl1:
*shingeki no kyojin

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@D4haka97: It's not that hard to be better than Attack on Titan.

JohnStephen

Why is everyone always at extremes with Attack on Titan? It's either the greatest thing ever made or the worst with people. Its a decent show. By no means amazing, but not bad. Do people actually have valid reasons for hating it beyond belief or is it just the new cool thing to hate?

JohnStephen

It's the same with Sword Art Online, come to think of it. CHAT is starting to sound like /a/ with how much it hates anime.

Brofessional

@JohnStephen: i just like what i like and don't really listen to the common opinions since they tend to cloud your own opinions, especially hype/hate can really mess with you. i love both SAO and AoT/SnK and thats not really gonna change.

Brofessional

@JohnStephen:no ones ever neutral on things, since neutrality doesn't really get heard

B0r1ng

@JohnStephen: You have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think CHAT hates anime. I do think that a lot of people are defensive about the anime shows they like, and to an extent it does sound like Attack on Titan is the new cool thing to hate. That said, I'd suggest Please Teacher because that's the other anime I saw.

Miser_Reborn

@JohnStephen: It's boring. Characters are bland. To much time is spent in between fight scenes. It's also overhyped, which obviously isn't a valid reason to hate the show but still fuels the hate train better than coal or those stupid "legitimate reasons" that are all the rage. The fanbase contributes a lot to it, but it's still bland as shit.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@simsoy: 11/10.

Zackizzle

This is a good topic.
Also K-On!

Parks

Ass To Ass

I watched the Persona 3 and 4 Anime's recently, I really enjoyed them.

B0r1ng

@Parks: Right, but joking aside, what did you really think about them?

forecep42

Rin=Waifu

Replying to OP:I'd recommend Psycho Pass

Parks

Ass To Ass

@B0r1ng: Fantastic Voice Acting, cool Art / Animation, and overall a great solid story.

Brofessional

I forgot I made this

Brofessional

Guess I should update my top 5

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Gintama
Parasyte
Psycho-Pass
Gurren Lagann
FMA:B

I couldn't cut it to 5 so it's a top 6 now. Highly recommend each of these.

Brofessional

wait, I'll just post this Edit: fuck. didn't work http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Br0fessional

You must be signed in to reply.